Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Speech Pathology-- whats that?

For a couple years now I have been debating what I wanted to do for a living for the REST of my life. Big decision and so many options leading me to change my mind, multiple times. After taking a semester off school to plan my wedding and try to figure this out I finally had it narrowed down to the field I wanted to be in. Now it was just a matter of choosing between occupational therapy and speech therapy. After many observation hours and lots of prayers I finally figured it out. I went to the temple one night, with my prayers centered on this decision. At the temple I had decided that I would let Heavenly Father pick. A couple days prior I had an advising appointment with the speech pathology director at ISU meridian right by Michael and I's house. She told me I could not have come in at a better time because there was one spot left in the program for this fall and they were deciding on who was going to get the last spot. She had me fill out an application right then n there and said she would get back with me the following week. So I had decided that all this was too perfect, me coming in at the perfect time and there being one spot left... So like I said I put it in God's hands. At the temple I had decided that if I got the last spot that I'd take it and that my prayer will have been answered. Although I expected to receive this answer by phone the following week, after the temple that night I had this weird feeling that I needed to check my email. So I did and low and behold there was an email from the director at ISU informing me that I was chosen to fill the last spot. God must know me and my patience level REALLY well because boy does he answer my prayers quickly. I'M GOING TO BE A SPEECH PATHOLOGIST!
So for all my family and friends that responded What Is That?? Here ya go-->

Speech-language pathologists, sometimes called speech therapists, assess, diagnose, treat, and help to prevent communication and swallowing disorders in patients. Speech, language, and swallowing disorders result from a variety of causes such as a stroke, brain injury, hearing loss, developmental delay, a cleft palate, cerebral palsy, or emotional problems.


No comments:

Post a Comment